If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (774) 290-4300

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Avoid Fires When Heating Your Property This Winter

1/20/2021 (Permalink)

Winter in Massachusetts is upon us. Temperatures have fallen and it will not be long before freezing temperatures set in. This means that residents of the Commonwealth will be relying on furnaces, fireplaces, and space heaters to warm their Natick, MA residential and commercial properties. There are risks inherent with heating your home or business during the winter months. The following are safety tips to follow when heating your residential or commercial property this winter:


  1. Inspect your chimney regularly for cracks and obstructions
  2. Have your chimney professionally cleaned
  3. Don't let creosote build up in your chimney, as it could set off a roof fire
  4. Don't "over build" your fire using too much paper. You could ignite the soot in your chimney
  5. Never burn charcoal in your fireplace. It gives off deadly carbon monoxide
  6. Keep your damper open, closing the damper could enable hot ashes to heat up and cause a damaging fire
  7. Let ashes cool in a sealed metal container


  1. Before you turn on your furnace, have it inspected by a qualified professional
  2. Make sure to check the condition of the automatic controls and emergency shutoffs
  3. If the walls and ceiling around your furnace feel too warm, have a professional check to see if your property is properly insulated

Space Heaters

  1. Make sure your space heater has a working safety light, alarm, automatic shut-off switch, and a cut-off device to prevent overheating
  2. Keep all objects, people and pets at least three feet away from the heater
  3. Never use a space heater in a bathroom

Heating your property is necessary, but if done carelessly the result may be a fire. The reality is, even after doing all of these things, a fire can still happen. If it does call the experts at SERVPRO of Natick/Milford at (774) 290-4300.  We will make it, "Like it never even happened." 

Other News

View Recent Posts